Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The unnecessary shortening of words for the purpose of relaxed conversation is inherently amusing ...

It's cool how for the purpose of laid back conversations or slang we shorten words.
For example when getting petrol we say "I'm heading to the servo".

We even do it with acronyms like when we go to the "R-ey" instead of going to the R.S.L.

Sometimes the whole process is reversed and words are lengthened in order to fit the format.
On occasions such as this John might become "Jonno".
Dave (which is itself a shortened version of David) may be re-established as a disyllable to become "Davo".

There seems to be no end to the usefulness of what we may call the 'casualisation' of everyday words. They're everywhere (casualised words), and it appears there exist only limited circumstances in which we are prevented from using them in "convo's".

I spoke to my brother Jeff yesterday. He informed me that my Grandmother in England had suffered a minor heart attack, in doing so this is what he said:

"Dad was just telling me that Maude had a semi "hearty" the other day hey".

She's fine now which is great but I totally commend Jeff on his ability to casualise a seemingly serious piece of news.

Lee.

1 comment:

The Daly's said...

I understand what your saying but shortening is so much easier.
I hope your grandma is OK