Monday, July 14, 2008

Finished my first 6000 words, yay!!

I am very relieved to have finished the first text out of the ten that I am writing on for the Excel Study Guide. Each text requires 6000 words of analysis!! That's 60, 000 words by 12th October - I think I'm mad! Lucky for me I really enjoy it ... rather be doing this than a 12,000 word pysch honours thesis - now that's insane!!

I'll leave you with the best poem of the 6 I had to write on, don't be worried if you're confused by it, my final verdict was that it was 'ambiguous', lol - still beautiful though!

For Precision

Yet I go on from day to day, betraying

the core of light, the depth of darkness –

my speech inexact, the note not right,

never quite sure what I am saying –

on the periphery of truth. Uphold me now,

pure colours, blacks, whites, bells on the central tone,

middays, midnights. I wander among cross-lights.

Let me be sure and economical as the rayed

suns, stars, flowers, wheels: let me fall as a gull, a hawk

through the confusions of foggy talk,

and pin with one irremediable stroke –

what? – the escaping wavering wandering light,

the blur, the brilliance; forming into one chord

what’s separate and distracted; making the vague hard –

catching the wraith – speaking with a pure voice,

and that the gull’s sole note like a steel nail

that driven through cloud, sky, and irrelevant seas,

joins all, gives all a meaning, makes all whole.


By Judith Wright

PS: If you're interested in a line by line analysis, let me know, lol :)

1 comment:

Tammy said...

'ambiguous' I can see that, but beautiful none the less. So excited for you that you have finished your first one. I am sure it is brilliant.
Alas I am not writing but trying to pack a house that I can not yet pack.LOL
talk soon